Friday, December 31, 2021

In & Out [post]: The Matrix Resurrections

Quietly yearning for what you don't have, while dreading losing what you do.

Rating: R    Runtime: 148 minutes                                              Where: In my basement (damn you, omicron)

What's it about? *deep breath* All the events of the Matrix have happened...in a video game. Designed by Neo. Wait, what? So everyone knows what the Matrix is, but they don't realize they are living in a rebooted version of it. This updated version of the Matrix sometimes feels like the old one, and that's before Trinity 2.0 shows up. Neo unplugs and heads back to the 'real' world, and his mission is to convince Trinity to come with him. Aw.

What works: You give me Keanu and Carrie-Anne and I'm in. Always. And as hard as it is to explain (and/or understand) what happens here, I was stoked to see them regardless. There's a lot less action than you might expect, but what we get pretty kickass. 

What doesn't: I think they managed their absences as well as they could have (it actually makes perfect sense in how they explain it [I think]), but man would I have died (or lived) to see Laurence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving back in the Matrix. 

Yays: Even if it's only a second with Christina Ricci, I'll take it (can we get a Speed Racer sequel, Wachowskis?). Jessica Henwick has a lot of heavy-lifting to do as Bugs, the earnest (and badass) disciple of all things Neo, but she does it well. That epic chase scene was f--king insane, even if got a little ridiculous by the end. The turncoat robots were kind of amazing, you know? And uh, this might sound weird, but this flick looked stunning, start to finish (I re-watched Revolutions right before and 2003 looked like 1983, comparatively speaking). The dojo scene was a particular standout (and any frame with Carrie-Anne Moss, obvs)

Boos: There were times, ergo, where I'm not sure anybody knew, vis a vis, what the f--k was going on. And while I liked what action we got, there wasn't really that innovative thing that I was hoping for (has everything that can be done...been done?). That final song? No thanks. Whatever that was about (was it a Rage cover? remix?), it's a no from me, dawg.

Are you taking the red pill or the blue pill? I honestly don't know which is which, so f--k it, take 'em both and give this one a shot. Though I get the feeling The Last Jedi walked so The Matrix Resurrections could run...so maybe proceed with a little caution, mmkay?

No comments:

Post a Comment