Thursday, October 27, 2022

In & Out [post]: Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

I hope you understand. The greatest threat to our universe...is you.
 
Title: Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness    

Rating: PG-13        Runtime: 126 mins    With: My children. Without: My wife     Thank: God 

What's it about? With a decade-plus of Marvel movies behind us, not only are the stories folding in on themselves, but so is the universe- literally. Here, Dr. Strange finds himself not only dealing with the fallout of what happened in Spider-Man: No Way Home and WandaVision, but also the plight of newcomer America Chavez, aka Ms. America (but like fellow portal-opener Trish the Dish of a different cinematic universe, nobody calls her that). Turns out this young lady has a very coveted super-power: the ability to jump/star wipe herself from universe to universe. Fancy, right? Right. But it's also pretty effing dangerous, too.

What works: Though far from perfect, the multi-verse as presented here is pretty dope, with a blast through a bunch of them that was an absolute VFX highlight reel. The action is consistently thrilling, and the horror, for a mass-market Mouse House production is inspired, if not a bit...unsettling? Did I think there'd be multiple jump scares? No. No I did not. Did I bring my eight year-old daughter to this after Sonic 2 was (essentially) sold out? Yes. Yes, I did. Am I terrible father who inadvertently traumatizes his children with hardcore comic book movies? Also yes.

What doesn't: The Scarlet Witch. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to actively root against Wanda ever, ever, ever, ever...ever, but this is what I'm told we're supposed to be doing. I get all that she has given up, but what the Hell, guys - just give her an entire universe and keep it movin'. She killed her husband to save the world. Hell, make it a BOGO. Honestly, I'm torn. The more time with Wanda the better (the way better, frankly) but she went from superhero, to bereaved lover, to SIMS world champion, to incensed world destroyer like that. Maybe there's a heroic turn down the line...or maybe...we've run out of worthy villains (always a problem, this)? Whatever the case, Wanda seems to have gotten a fairly raw deal, but I guess that's in line with most of the ladies of Marvel.

For the Yays and Boos, let's bring in my two sidekicks, Matthew, age 12, a fairly sizable MCU enthusiast and his adorable sister, Violet, age 8, an absolute rookie in terms of Marvel live-action flicks (though I think she's seen Venom (oops!)).

NOTE: This post has sat dormant in my drafts since June 6th. My kids have long since forgotten whatever this movie was about, but I'm still going to ask them what they remember. For (maybe not) the first time, it looks like the Yays and Boos might be a bit of a therapy session.

Welp, turns out no one wants to talk about this. Matty liked it, though it might have been a little hardcore for his fragile, little mind. Violet shudders at the mere mention of the film, and uses it as a barometer for what she can withstand, both physically and emotionally. Dad, I saw Dr. Strange...I can handle this.

I Love You 900: When I want to exaggerate anything, my whole life I've opted for 900 as my go-to number. You didn't hear me? I said it like nine-hundred times! Why do I say this...again? Well, turns out this is my 900th post. Imagine. Saying 900 times...900 times? Madness.

2 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad to have you back! I can't root against Wanda either, she's my favorite. I support her rights and wrongs, even though the way they wrote her character in this was awful and it made it like she learned nothing from Wandavision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I appreciate that so much. I wish I could be back-back, but I can't even find the time to write back to one of my favorite people ever.
      As far as this one goes, I look back on it fondly, both for Raimi being Raimi and me being a terrible, terrible father.
      I'm team Wanda for life. LIFE.

      Delete