Monday, March 26, 2012

Does it work on guys?

When I first started Two Dollar Cinema, I couldn't come up with an angle. Obviously, I wanted to write about movies, but what the Hell was I going to say? I might've started out trying to be serious, perhaps even intellectual, but that didn't last too long. While there's certainly a need for intelligence and scholarly critique/examination, sometimes you have to say f--k it and just have fun. On a rainy Saturday afternoon, with the little one down for a nap, my wife and I opted for the film embodiment of that idea, 2009's Ghosts of Girlfriends Past.

If you read the trivia section of this flick's imdb page, you're in for a huge WTF.
My sister says that I don't have time to hate a movie. Basically, I'm so happy to be watching anything that I just end up loving it altogether. You know, there's some truth in that. Sure, I've seen some stuff that is truly horrible, but I can't muster up the hate like I used to. Maybe getting older and having a kid softens you. Or maybe, I just secretly love Matthew McConaughey. He's is pretty dreamy.

Anyway, I had a good time with this movie. It's ridiculous, it's unnecessary and it's utterly predictable. But it's also funny, charming and (briefly) emotionally resonating. Please, don't set the bar too high. Some Like It Hot, this ain't. But as far as recent rom-coms go, I think it's worth a spin. Keep in mind, I enjoy McConaughey's schtick (all right, all right) and find Jennifer Garner to be charming as well. Throw in a ridiculous Robert Forster and a painfully awkward Emma Stone and I'm good. I didn't even mention Michael Douglas yet, either. It might be worth it just for him. Although, he's pretty much playing Barry from Storage Wars. Yuuup!

So, perhaps my credibility is forever damaged, but press on we shall. Here are the Yays and Boos, how-else-could-we-rob-Dickens style?
Is Jennifer Garner hot? I'm going all in on I think so.
Yaaaaaaay!
  • Dead Uncle Wayne's Stabbin' Wagon. Like an old school Pussy Wagon.
  • The wife and I called it, but the younger version of Garner from 13 Going on 30 reprises her role. What an odd niche.
  • You look like a gay pirate.
  • The numerous use of the word boner is always welcome. 
  • Seriously, I liked Breckin Myers' speech about his brother. It seemed genuine.
  • Speaking of speeches, Connor's last one was pretty good as far as douchey guy learns his lesson speeches go.
  • Another member of the movie soundtrack hall-of-fame? Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time. Yep.
I dare you to touch her boobs.
 Boooo!
  • Okay, Emma Stone. I've vouched for your hotness and you're making me work here. Yes, you are very funny. But damn, girl. Just damn.
  • Robert Forster. I love you. I love the way you talk (bahdee cavitee). But let's pretend this never happened.
  • Old Breckin Myer. At first, it looked good. Then, scary. Very scary.
  • Whatever it is you call that post-end scene in a flick...the stinger? The Easter Egg, perhaps? Well, whatever. This movie features probably one of the worst in history. It's not all the way at the end, but just a few seconds after the credits start. It might be the reason that many people hate this flick. Or the movie just kinda sucks. One of those.
Bottom Line: If you want to tear this movie apart it will be insanely easy. But if you want to enjoy yourself on a rainy day with 100 minutes of goofy fun, that shouldn't be that hard either. In a word, this one is allriiiight.

2 comments:

  1. I barely laughed at all during this flick but I can say that Stone and McConaughey both tried their hardest here. However, it just didn't work with a film that was so shallow, unfunny, and unoriginal. Good review M. Brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking to people about this one, I'm definitely in the minority with my affinity for it. What can I say? I had a good time.

      I'm sure if I'd watched it alone (or again) I wouldn't like it nearly as much, but I found it charming.

      As always, thanks for stopping by Dan.

      Delete