Welcome back to my children's movie blog! Definitely not my intention, but animated flicks have two things going for them: they keep my son interested (for about 15 minutes, unless it's Despicable Me - that movie absolutely freezes him in place) and they are short. Win-win. This morning we got up extra early (for us, anyway) and began Rio. I thought this one was going to be pretty rough, but I actually, kinda...um...really, really liked it. I know. I'm like a giant, eleven year-old girl.
|Dear God, make me a bird. So I could fly far. Far, far away from here|
I didn't see this theatrically, but on Blu-ray, it is visually stunning. That alone, may be worth seeing it. But if beautifully animated cartoon birds don't do it for you, maybe one of these will:
- The voice cast is stellar. Jesse Eisenberg (who my wife thinks is Michael Cera) does what he does, but the lovely Anne Hathaway really soars (like what I did there?) and Jemaine Clement (please watch Flight of the Conchords) rules.
- Lionel Ritchie works every time, indeed.
- Blu's take on samba is spot-on.
- The singing and dancing is at a minimum. Still pretty annoying. Isn't the best musical number ever from an animated movie "What's This?" from The Nightmare Before Christmas. Yep.
- Animated Carnival is breathtaking to see. Of course, I'm sure the real one looks okay, too (damn you, Nikos).
- Anne Hathaway's bird-character, Jewel, is hot. Yeah, I said it.