Saturday, August 6, 2011

So, I thought a trip to Arby's might give me some courage, but...no dice.

I like Will Ferrell. I know that his schtick is kind of one-note, but it doesn't make it any less amusing. Over the course of the last two days, I decided to hit up the DVR and get into what is considered his worst movie ever. Yes, I'm talking about 2009's Land of the Lost. This one reportedly cost $100 million to make, and didn't recover half of that. Is it really that bad? Well, that depends. Do you know who Jackie Moon is?

She's a sleestak. Oh oh oh, ohhhh, oh oh.
First, I don't give a damn about the original TV show, Land of the Lost. I remember it looking terrible and being unforgivably boring. So, the nostalgia factor (or whatever it's called when Hollywood rapes and destroys your childhood memories) is out. I don't care. Yes, I have been prone to lamenting the barrage of remakes, too. But if the original sucks, who cares if they try again? I'm just not sure what will need to be re-imagined or rebooted that will send me over the edge. I guess if they messed with my childhood favorites like The Goonies, Back to the Future or Ferris Bueller's Day OffAt the end of the day, honestly, I don't give a shit either way. Try it. See what happens. The one I saw when I was kid will always be better.

All that said, your feelings about this movie will really depend on two things. One, the Will Ferrell factor. Again, if you like what he does, you're going to survive this. Two, your expectations. Land of the Lost came out two years ago and by this point, the world has labeled it as a major suckfest. Knowing that, I thought it was amusing enough. It doesn't hurt that Danny McBride is in it doing his thing. Also, the girl is pretty hot as well. She has this whole Tomb Raider outfit going on and it's exquisite. Though the actress, Anna Friel, does suffer from the DushFactor* The DushFactor is a phenomenon where a given actress can go from a 9 to a 4 depending on the role (and sometimes even the scene). Maybe, I was out of my mind, but watch for it. It was intriguing.

I will mention the mosquito scene. I did almost tear up during that one. Oh, and this probably would have been a decent family-oriented movie (minus the naughty bits) or if they had just gone R and let Ferrell (and McBride) work crazy blue, like in Semi-Pro. This one can't decide.
*named for the esteemed Eliza Dushku

No comments:

Post a Comment