Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Death is a disease, it's like any other. And there's a cure. A cure - and I will find it.

Wow. So I just finished 2006's The Fountain. Pretty heavy stuff...at least for wrapping up at 12:20am on a school night.

At school today, a few of us were watching movie trailers and Hugh Jackman's name came up. From there, the discussion veered to Rachel Weisz and inevitably, to Darren Aronofsky's aforementioned film.
I was the only person in the room who hadn't seen it, and Flem and Hannah were fans. Normally, this would have been the end of it. But since I've started this silly blog, I have decided to watch more movies. Yep. Not lose weight, not be a better husband, not read more books (although thanks to the Kindle, I am), not anything of true merit. I went with watch more movies. So, of my almost four hundred blu-rays, I went with one that I bought in January of 2008 (for a whopping $7.58...don't ask) and quite honestly, never thought I'd get around to.


All that said...I really liked it. I'm not sure I comprehended 100% of it, but I thought it was very interesting. The life-out-of-death concept was very intriguing. I particularly connected with the modern-day story. So much so that I paused the movie and ran upstairs to lay next to my sleeping wife.

Having recently lost my grandmother, I've found myself considering the inevitable deaths we will all face (moreso the death of others) . Hugh Jackman's does all he can to prevent the death of his wife. It's very moving stuff. The other characters face this as well, but in slightly a more abstract way.

Oh, if you know me, the scene where he begins to tatoo his missing wedding band on his finger - that really resonated as well. I'm fairly certain I'm going to lose mine some day. Probably not in a badass way, like post-monkey surgery, either.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! You did see it! And before the era of yays and boos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about all the dust on this post. It's basically a f--king relic. And terrible.

      I have zero recollection of this film, outside of the fact that I remember it fondly.

      Delete