Sunday, May 15, 2011

MACHETE DON'T TEXT.

Since I've started this blog, I've been on a movie-buying frenzy. I think I've bought six blu-rays in the last three or four days. Yeah, I know Netflix is smarter and more economical - but I love owning the flick. My dad once said to me, "You'd be using these a lot if you watched them twice." Good point, old man, but your logic eludes me.

This particular rant  leads me to my first completed film (and one of those six), Robert Rodriguez's Machete. I've been a fan of his stuff for a long time. I rate Desperado, Sin City and Planet Terror in my top 100 or so movies. I even saw Spy Kids 3-D in the theater with my cousin, Patrick. I only mention that because my cousin Patrick loves to bring up how stupid we were for paying money to see that disaster. Whatever. I love Stallone. He was worth our Norton's Deli tip money without question.

Back to Machete. While I thought it was pretty badass, it seemed a bit on the long side. Seems to me most movies in the last few years hover right around the two-hour mark. That's cool sometimes, but this sucker would have been all kinds of nuts had it been about twenty-minutes shorter. As long as they left in the intestine-aided escape scene, Lohan's (sweet?) boobage and Cheech's double-shotgun-cross-head-obliteration festival intact...good would have been great.

Danny Trejo really is a scary-looking dude. He gets a lot of play in this one in spite of this.
Oh, and he ruled in Con Air. "They'd call me Johnny 600 if they knew the truth."




Not only do I own 'Machete,' but I saw Con Air in the theaters...twice.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome you saw Con Air in theaters! Danny Trejo rules and Machete was great. Hopefully they will make sequels.

    ReplyDelete