Tuesday, August 2, 2011

All I have are the choices I make, and I choose her, come what may.

Well, alright. It's just past one in the morning and thanks to an earlier text message from Redbox, I just finished watching The Adjustment Bureau. I honestly feel that I have never seen another movie that was quite like this. And in a good way, not the Jonah Hexy-way...
You know what the best part of my day is? For about ten seconds, when I pull up to the curb and when I get to your door...
By law, you must obey Terence Stamp.
So, this is a thriller. Maybe, even a borderline action movie. But what it is more than anything, is a love story. I mean, action movies always have some sort of relationship in them, but this one actually counts. It's not that eye-rolling kind where the hero stops in the middle of the most urgent situation ever and kisses his girl in slow-motion. The relationship between the two characters is the action, is the ticking clock behind everything. I may be overselling it (probably), but I felt it was pretty unique. And extremely entertaining.

I don't want to really get into the story, but the religious implications are very interesting and would probably make for some decent post-movie conversation (naturally, I watched this alone in my kitchen while my wife was asleep on the couch). Even if that angle doesn't grab you, I think there's enough action (and a fairly hot Emily Blunt) to keep you interested. True, nothing blows up, but there's quite a few foot races, if that's your thing. And it is, right? Of course it is.

I think the ending may have been a bit abrupt, however. Luckily, the scene in the hospital may set the cinematic record for "most awkward punch to the face." And surely that scene will trump any problems you'll have with the film.
By the way, Matt Damon punches a couple guys and pretty much kills them. It's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment