Friday, June 10, 2011

I could hear the little man inside me again. He was screaming like a little girl.

I scored a copy of The Men Who Stare at Goats on blu for .99 at a Blockbuster in East York. I'm always up for a kickass ensemble production, and this flick has a quartet of guys who have portrayed some legendary roles.

You have Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan, Renton), George Clooney (Batman, Mr. Fox), Jeff Bridges (The Dude, Clu) and Kevin Spacey (Verbal Kint, Jack Vincennes). Hell, you even get a little T-1000 for good measure.

So, what does all that talent get you? Not that much. The movie isn't terrible, but is isn't very good either. The idea that the military has this secret Jedi program run by the Dude is pretty sweet. The fact that nothing really happens in Iraq isn't. There was some opportunity here, but it was squandered more often than not. If you want to see Ewan McGregor do quirky, please, please catch Big Fish. Clooney in Iraq? Three Kings is great. For a dollar, I'm not mad at all. And I do it give it some credit for clocking in at 94 minutes. That's basically the duration of a nap from this kid:

Not that you asked, but the two best ensemble flicks in the last 15 years I can think of are Heat and CopLand. L.A Confidential should make that list as well.


For the record, his favorite movie in the world right now is Cars. I have seen it about 40 times. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment