Thursday, June 16, 2011

Look at me... I'm a prickly pear!

Better late than never, right?

About 6 weeks ago, I started watching Leaving Las Vegas. I was 16 years old when it hit theaters and despite seeing just about everything that came out my junior year of high school, I never caught a minute of Mike Figgis' acclaimed drama (actually, I know I saw Powder instead). Anyway, half a lifetime later I started it and six weeks after that I finished it.

There's no need to recap the plot or anything because pretty much everyone has seen this movie (right?). Just in case...man goes to Vegas to drink himself to death and despite having almost no redeeming qualities, manages to shack up with super-hot (though equally flawed) lady of the evening.

Nicolas Cage won the Oscar for his role, but looking back...I'm not so sure how to feel about that one. Ben Sanderson is awkward, drunk, washed-up and uber-sketchy...though still fairly likable? That's exactly how I would describe modern-day Nic Cage. Screw it. He used to be pretty legit. Now, not as much. Hell, I'd have given him the Oscar for his role as Cameron Poe. "Sorry boss, but there's only two men I trust. One of them's me. The other's not you."

Speaking of people I'd make out with, did I mention that Elisabeth Shue is in this? Goodness. I have had a very pathetic crush on her since...well, forever. I was thinking it started after Adventures in Babysitting, but I now realize that her hotness is cemented in cinematic history as Ali in The Karate Kid. Oh yes, I was all of 5 years-old when that movie came out, and probably 7or 8 when my family rented it for the ol' VCR (rented? VCR? makes me feel a hundred), but damn if I didn't know I was looking at something special. Goodness. The scene by the pool? Jinkies.

No comments:

Post a Comment