Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Like a gooood neighbor...Mater is there.

Goodness. This past Friday, at around 10:30 in the morning, my wife and I decided to bring Matty to his first movie. As mentioned before, he is obsessed with the Pixar movie, Cars. So, after what seemed like months upon months (and thousands of commercials), Cars 2 was unleashed upon the world. As a lover of all things Pixar (except A Bug's Life...which is okay, at best), I'm telling you...this movie is terrible.


I once had a conversation with a co-worker about the live-action Alvin and the Chipmunks. I had recently seen it (don't ask) and was telling him how much it sucked. He said it was great and that I was just being a jerk. I said that no, it was actual fact, that the movie simply was awful and should not be seen by man nor beast. He countered that his son loved it, and that by seeing his son enjoy it, he too thought it was great.

Fast forward four years, and here I find myself watching my son digging Cars 2. Now, he was into the movie while eating snacks and/or pounding juice boxes. But once all the consuming was at an end, he could not care about his first trip to the movies. Matty, like a small wolverine, wanted to run, shout and destroy. And for the last 30 minutes or so, that's what he did. And honestly, he didn't miss much. This movie was the biggest cash grab in cinematic history. Dozens and dozens of characters who appeared and disappeared for no other reason than to be sold in die-cast form. Now, I'm not too upset about that (because we have been buying them left and right!), but I do feel it's shameless. The title of this post was the most groan-inducing line of recent memory. Literally, this is a two-hour commercial getting a laugh out of referencing another commercial. Yeesh. Shame on you, Pixar. You're better than this.

The poster was more exciting than the movie. And easier to understand. 
So, I guess that guy was right. In my case, my son's indifference mirrored my own. Glad that he went to his first movie, but wish it would've been something more memorable than almost two hours with Larry the Cable Guy.

As far as I know, Pixar will also be making another Monsters, Inc. Please redeem yourself. Matty loves the original (me too). It rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment